Small medieval village of the Quercy whose castles (old and young) overlooking the Aveyron. Bruniquel is located 28 km east of Montauban at the junction of Vere and Aveyron.Ultimately the department of Tarn, near Bruniquel are heavily forested, especially in the east with the massive forest Grésigne.
At the foot of the castles are a prehistoric rock shelter recently searched and nearby many other archaeological sites.The village experienced a big boom in the Middle Ages as it is on the path of pilgrims of Saint Jacques de Compostela. The majority of houses have been built between the fourteenth and the sixteenth century, mainly in stone, but there are also half-timbered. Most streets have retained their crooked floors and is at the top of the main found the castles, virtually suspended over the void.The story also holds that during the Second World War, the inhabitants of Salona in the Moselle (Lorraine) were deported in this village. Links were created and are still relevant
From the beginning of Christianity, Albi became a bishopric, the first bishop was St. Clair, the diocese has the same limits as the "Civitas Albigensium.
Followed by a period of insecurity that justifies the construction of a fortified city while the medieval occupies an area smaller than the Gallo-Roman.
During this period of the Middle Ages, feudal power increases with the powerful and influential of Viscounts Trencavel who also own the Viscount of Beziers and Carcassonne.
In the sixth century, Bishop Saint-Salvi distinguished himself as "defender of the city" and its spiritual aura. The college and the monastery bearing his name attest to the veneration that show him the Albigenses.
Around 1040, the city of Albi is undergoing a new expansion with the construction of the Pont-Vieux.
A new suburb is emerging on the right bank of the Tarn-called "end of the bridge, and various suburbs such as Saint-Salvi, River.
New districts were created: that of Vigan, to Verdusse and Castelnau witnessed a strong urban growth.
The city then enriched through commerce and trade but also through a toll-Old Bridge.
Forest Grésigne between the valleys of the Aveyron, the Vère
Cérou and is surrounded on the north by the limestone plateau and south-east
by the plateau of Strings.
It is bordered by long-distance footpath GR 46.
The balance of oak (60% of the population in oak, 15% in oak) is the Grésigne the largest oak in the south of France.
it has been exploited by the lords and peasant communities. Colbert draws oak masts for the Royal Navy, the glass fuel their ovens to make a fine glass and blue, charcoal-draw charcoal and residents use them for fuel.
Named Montricolf 1181, that is : the Mount of Riculf (Germanic
anthroponym : ric : powerfull and reulf = wolf), the village came into possession of the Templars of Vaour at this time when they founded a Commandery. The village still has somme very elegant half-timbered houses dating back to the 15 th and 16 th th-c.
The Castle has been fitted out as a museum. In a succession of rooms,one can admire the works of the artist Marcel Lenoir (1872-1931), one of the main figurres of the Montparnasse style.
Antonin Noble Val
Located at the confluence of two rivers Aveyron and Bonnette, the place was called Condat (junction) from the Celtic era, then Valis Nobilis (Noble Val) to Roman times.Antonin came to evangelize the Ruthenians early Christian era. Martyred in Pamiers, his remains were returned to Condat in a boat pulled by two eagles. At this point in the eighth century, has built the Abbey of Saint-Antonin. The city was later developed around the abbey and took the same name.
VIIIth to XIIth century.
The city is under the authority of a Viscount. Craft and commerce are thriving (wine, saffron, dried plums, butcher shops, tanneries, weaving woolens ...). A class of merchants and townspeople develops. Witness the large stone houses with mullioned windows and the Roman House. Vicomtale House (1125), one of the oldest and finest examples of Romanesque architecture civil France. The walls protect the city.
This is the twelfth century that the Viscounts begin to lose their power and grant the town a Charter of Rights and Freedoms customs (1140-1144). This is one of the first charters granted by France in the feudal system.
Thirteenth to fourteenth century.
Trade convey new ideas. Thus we come to Eastern Europe Cathar doctrine that sets up rapidly in the Southwest. Opposed by the Pope and the King of France - against the Albigensian Crusade - Crusaders, led by Simon de Montfort, laid siege to St. Antonin in 1212. The town and the Abbey are partly destroyed. Simon de Montfort became master of the town but was killed in 1218 at the headquarters in Toulouse. His son Amaury and his brother Guy de Montfort inherit Saint-Antonin they sell later, in 1226, the King of France Louis VIII. It accepts, and the following year, Louis IX (St. Louis) confirms its protection in Saint-Antonin becomes Royal City and reached its apogee. Trade is flourishing with Germany, Italy, England and Holland... The Viscounts, ruined, abandoned power early in the thirteenth century. They are replaced by the Consuls elected for one year from among the prominent families. But from the fourteenth century began the Hundred Years War. At the boundary of British possessions, Saint-Antonin suffers greatly. Occupied by the British on several occasions (1344 and 1351) and resumed by the King of France after a siege of two years (1352-1354) then becomes English in 1360 (Treaty of Bretigny) in 1369.
The war, the ravages of large companies, plague, cause great misery. The activity can resume until the late fourteenth century.
Fifteenth and sixteenth centuries
Begins a new period of prosperity. Witness the beautiful stone houses with mullioned windows of shopping, but also the more modest buildings of mud and timber-framed workers' districts. Inside its walls, the city has counted up to 6,000 inhabitants.
But here are religious wars. St. Antoninus adopt the reformed religion in 1562 after a bitter struggle, the "papists" are expelled from Saint-Antonin, who declares himself "Protestant Republic. The battles are tough, the abbey churches were destroyed. The city is strengthening its walls.
In 1622 Louis XIII besieged Saint-Antonin, investing the city and demolished the walls. Catholics back and the two communities live together as best they could until the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes (1685) where the Inquisition and dragonnades forcing Protestants to recant or flee. The "heroic" period of Saint-Antonin is completed. The city is taken over by the King of France: the end of privileges granted and confirmed since the thirteenth century and the gradual decline of the economic and political life. In the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries of beautiful religious buildings (monastery Génovéfains) and civilians (town houses) are not sufficient to mask the decline of the city. Late nineteenth century, the opening of a railway line (1856) and in the twentieth century the installation of a spa (1924) were believed to renewed activity. But the flood of 1930 destroyed the facilities. Rail service was discontinued in 1956.
Saint-Antonin is now a green holiday resort in which to walk the narrow streets with evocative names where every step you learn a witness twelve centuries of history.
"But we're in a museum!".
Thus exclaimed Viollet-le-Duc when he discovered the "little town of Saint-Antonin" one day in September 1842.